Thursday, January 26, 2012

BBQ'd Taco's - Delicious

So - I was always a little bit ahead of the curve with guys my age when it came to cooking. Granted, I hung out with a lot of non-cooking mofos, but I am no culinary genius, just a little more handy than most.

So I wanted to start blogging again, I will continue the sports coverage, and I can't wait to write about my beloved 49ers, but I also want to start blogging some Sam specific recipes. Granted, the first one is one I've stolen from my dad, but I believe I've perfected it (of course).

So... BBQ TACOS! I love telling people I am making these without explaining, they usually look confused. Hell, even explaining it usually confuses people, its not til they see how its done do they understand. So first, the Ingredients list.

Ingrediants:

Hamburger
Garlic Salt
Cayenne Pepper
Corn Tortilla (Smaller ones)
Black Beans
Cheese
Salsa
Sour Cream
Lettuce
ETC



This originally was a fried taco, that while delicious, my dad only made once or twice a year, because we'd always eat 1-2 more than necessary, then feel bad about ourselves for a week. He came up with the BBQ version that, has the same great taste, still super crispy, but without that greasy feeling.

So first we are going to take a small amount of Hamburger and put it on the tortilla. You want just enough to cover just about half the tortilla - Don't worry, the meat shrinks when cooking, so it wont stay at the edges, but be careful not to make them super thick - you want room for your toppings, and you don't want a thick patty.

Next - seasoning. I put Garlic Salt and a small sprinkle of Cayenne Pepper. You can add more cayenne but be careful, its spicy. If you want, you can use a Mexican spice blend.

Next, you give the meat side of the taco a quick spray of Pam - this helps get the tortilla crispy - not much, just a bit.

Next - you put the tacos face down on a hot grill - you want the heat at Medium-High heat.

Once the tacos are down, give a spray of Pam to the back of the tacos.

Once the meat is mostly cooked, flip the tacos to the tortilla side to crisp up the outsides.

IMMEDIATELY put on the cheese, because the tortillas will not take long to crisp.
And because of the origin of the taco, we will be using American cheese, seeing as this recipe was once a home made version of jack in the box tacos. That being said, any cheese you like works, I've made this same thing with a Mexican shredded mix many a time.

Once the tortillas are almost done, fold the tortilla before it becomes to hard to close. you can continue cooking the outside until preferred crispness.

Next - add your fixings. I used avocado, black beans, hot sauce, lettuce, and sour cream. You can use whatever toppings you like - sliced tomatoes, salsa, re-fried beans, etc. Or you can go pure tack in the box taco style and just load it up with hot sauce and lettuce. Any way, they are delicious, and make for a fun snack at your next BBQ - or for Super Bowl Sunday.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment